Sunday, February 3, 2008

Hint of being financially independent

It sucks. Today I checked my mail, and I got a mail from people claiming to be from camelot lottery UK. Saying I was one of 5 people who won in their international lottery draw and that we were supposed to share some 891k pounds. Divided and converted to singapore currency, we're talking about $430k, each.

I double checked, I wiki-ed it, yahoo-ed it. and even went to their official website. It seemed real and I allowed myself to be carried away.

An hour or so later when my dad returned I showed him the stuff, and he said it was fake. I went to double check the faq's and regulations and stuff. And I conclude that the mail was a scam.

At dinner, my dad was telling me that even white-collar job people also kena scammed. Maybe you guys are also thinking that i'm being a fool to allow myself to be suckered even a little.

BUT.

The truth is, at that point in time, when you receive something so genuine that offers you what you're working for, for your entire life, that being to be financially independent...you just want to believe in it. I can understand why people fall for such things. When I allowed myself to fantasize about having won the lottery, I didn't want to let myself doubt the authencity of the mail. It felt good. Nothing mattered then, not even the test I had tomorrow...thats why, to have been ripped back to reality, where one does not gain anything for free. It's disappointing.

but at least. It made me feel a high that comes only when you're financially independent. It motivates me a little to work a bit harder, a little bit more. The taste of being "there". at the peak of your life~...

And to the people who scam others in this fashion. whether or not they really need the money. It's really cruel- to give people a fantasy to live in, and pull them right out of it. It's cruel. But I guess...

But you can't hurt people who don't really care, and since the money never belonged to me in the first place, I guess it shouldn't matter one bit.

...

Imaoff to study a lil'

lookout for the scams peeps. ask me to verify the authencity for you if you ever get one. I pro le.

No comments: